The special school for training army personnel founded in 1873, called Rikugun Toyama Gakkō or “Toyama Army Academy” in Toyama, Tokyo, Japan, led to the establishment of Toyama-ryu. Today, three separate lines of Toyama-ryū are primarily located in the Kantō, Tokai and Kansai region of Japan. In 1925, since not all officers had sufficient background in kenjutsu to deploy these weapons in combat, a simplified form of sword technique was devised that emphasized the most essential points of drawing and cutting. The army iai-battō kata differ from those of many koryū sword schools in that all techniques are practised from a standing position. This modern ryū has a strong emphasis on tameshigiri, or “test-cutting”. This is part of the DNIK (Dai Nippon Iaido Kyokai) HQ in Japan, this syllabus requires both mugai and toyama styles of iai.